Monday, October 11, 2010

Our Sweet Addition to the Family

Long over due but here is how it all went down when this little girl came into our lives! From 36 weeks on, I went to the doctor weekly. We knew that she wasn't going to come anytime soon because I was not dialated or "soft" (whatever that means!). Dr. Beck was going to be at Lake Powell the entire week that I was due so we decided to schedule an apt for the Monday that he would be back and see about enducing labor. At about 37 weeks, I told him that I didn't mind going past my due date but I just didn't want to have an 8 or 9 pound baby. His response was, "She will DEFINITELY be over 8 pounds!" I said, "NO! We need to get her out before that happens!" He said that she would be a lot healthier and labor would be much easier if we waited. I cried! I was scared!

So, Monday, August 2, we went to our apt early in the morning and Dr. Beck said that we need to get her out because she is getting too big. He called the hospital and they said that they could get me in at 3:00. YAY! Around noon, the hospital called and said that they are busy and I need to call at 3:00 to make sure they could get me in. Everyone advised me to eat before I went so we hit up BJ's. Yumm... 3:00 came so I called the hospital and of course, they were too full. They said they would call me as soon as a room became available. 6:00... Joe's Real BBQ (delicious) with the Yeamans 7:30 mall with my mom 8:00 Kevin goes to a movie with Jeremy 8:01 THE HOSPITAL CALLS!!! Kevin leaves the movie! When I called him, the movie had just started. He didn't believe me at first but then realized that I wasn't kidding. My mom took me home and Kevin came and picked me up. Right before we left for the hospital, I got super emotional. I got really nervous. We said a prayer together and it really helped me calm down. I am so grateful for Kevin and his ability to calm my nerves. Here I am right before I went to the mall with my mom.

We got to the hospital at about 9:00 pm (August 2). By the time we got to the room, I changed into my lovely robe, got the IV, and started the medicine, it was 11:00 pm. Thank you, Dr. Beck, for the sleeping pill!

The medicine that they gave me had to be in me for 12 hours and then we had to wait an hour in between before we could start the pitocin. So, once we were finished with that, I showered and then finally about noon (August 3), we started the pitocin. Around 2:00, I got the epidural. From then on out, we talked, laughed, looked for names on the internet, played phase 10, Tasia did my make up, and basically just waited around. Things were moving REALLY slow!! On the board, everyone gave their guesses of how much Keegan would weigh. Jason Lunt was our winner!!

Around 9:00 pm, I was dialated to a 6 so Kevin kicked everyone out of the room so I could get some sleep and relax before I had to push. Once I relaxed, things started to move a lot faster. About 11:40, our nurse, Becky (amazing!), said I was at a 10 and I could start pushing. She said that I would probably be pushing for an hour or two. She got the room all ready and after 2 pushes, she said, "We are going to hold off on pushing until Dr. Beck gets here. I will go call him right now!" He got there 10 minutes later, I pushed a few more times and then our perfect little girl was here! She was born on August 4 at 12:11 am. She weighed 8 lbs 8 oz and was 21 1/2 inches long. It was the most incredible feeling in the entire world! Ahh!! It's amazing!

We stayed in the hospital until August 5. We went home around 2:00 pm or so. She didn't have a name until maybe 20 minutes before we left. We were deciding between Keegan and Kenlee. The entire time we were in the hospital, everyone kept asking what her name was. They all thought that we had a name but weren't telling anyone. Finally, Kevin decided on Keegan. I chose her middle name, Terry, after my dad. We had known that we would do that for a while but wanted it to be a surprise for him. Right after I had her, I asked my dad if it was okay that we gave her his name. He was so surprised and with tears in his eyes, he said he would be honored. I love my dad so much and that was something special that I wanted to do for him :)

Thank you so much for everyone that traveled to see us, waited patiently, sent text messages, called, and came to visit! We are so excited to have our little girl!

No comments: